1.26.2005

That's NOT my job!!!!


This picture kills me.

It also convicts me. It makes me think of laziness and apathy in my own life.

How many times have I known the right thing to do and not done it? Sometimes it's big things, things that are obviously the way wrong thing to do. Sometimes it's tiny things that people wouldn't normally notice. I want to do the right thing. I always feel bad about it when I don't.

"I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead I do the very thing I hate."
Romans 7.15



Addendum to Wednesday morning post:

So, I’ve been thinking about this picture since I posted it this morning and seeing that flattened creature made me think of the story of the good Samaritan. You can read the story in the book of Luke 10.30 but I’ll summarize here; A Jewish man is traveling when he is robbed, beaten and left for dead along the side of the road. First a (Jewish) priest happens upon the scene, but hurries by without stopping. Then a (Jewish) temple assistant (maybe the equivalent of an associate pastor?) did the same. Then a third person comes down the street. This person was a Samaritan (despised Samaritan according to the NLT) who took pity on the traveler bandaged his wounds, gave him medicine, and put him up in a hotel so that he could recover. It's interesting that Jesus chose to tell a story of a Samaritan helping a Jew.
In the middle Eastern culture of Jesus’ time the Samaritans were THE social outcasts. The Jews were to the Samaritans as the Pope is to a Transvestite. OK, that may have been a slight exaggeration….but you get my point.
So that gets me to thinking about social outcasts in our society and how I treat them (if I even allow myself to get close to them). How do I act when I meet a Homosexual, or a drug addict, how about a stripper, or a homeless person?

I want to do the right thing. I want to be a good person.

I’m so proud of my son. My boys Obadiah and Malachi just got a boatload of toys for Christmas and we weren’t sure where we were going to find room for all of them. Obadiah asked me if he could give some of his extra toys to little kids that didn’t have anywhere to live. I almost cried.

When I think of the homeless I think of the dirty guy on the corner with the cardboard sign and the bottle of vodka sticking out of his pocket. When Obadiah thinks of the homeless he thinks of a family that isn’t able to give their children a gift for Christmas. I guess I could learn a thing or two from Obadiah.

Obadiah gave a bunch of his toys to Hope For The Homeless.
CLICK HERE to check out their site, then volunteer, or donate!!!

4 comments:

amanda jane said...

I read your profile and it interested me, so then I read your blog which interested me even more. I like your views, and about your purpose in life, just be good to people, that's all I have really accomplished thus far in my twenty four years, and i have to admit, I am happy.

Thomas said...

With the exception of the jab at associate pastors, I liked the post today. I got to thinking that you are like my blogging nemisis. kind of the green goblin to me. I like that. But it is good to know that we are on the same side. The homeless have been on my heart a lot lately, and I am with you. My attitude toward the homeless has got to change. I can't wait for my kids (of course I mean I can wait, but say this to make a point) because it it looks like we get to learn so much from them. As I have said before when asked why I wanted to have kids - For the sermon illustrations

Anonymous said...

Jimmy, Remember the story that Ralph Moore told us about not mowing the lawn? When do you do something because it's the right thing to do... and when do you hold back to allow someone else to step up and take the responsibility?

jimmy said...

That wasn't a jab at you Thomas. My point was that the guys that passed by the man on the side of the road were too busy doing "Gods work" to help out.

Good point Gina!!