1.28.2005

The moral thing to do?!?!?


Excerpt from the Hoosier Gazette;

"John Hostettler, the Congressman representing the 8th district of Indiana, has been convinced by local religious groups to introduce legislation in the House that would change the name of an Interstate 69 extension to a more moral sounding number.
There are plans to extend the interstate from Indianapolis through southwestern Indiana all the way through Texas into Mexico in the coming years. While most believe this highway will be good for the state's economy, religious conservatives believe "I-69" sounds too risqué and want to change the interstate's number.
Hostettler, a proponent of the interstate extension, agrees. 'Every time I have been out in the public with an "I-69" button on my lapel, teenagers point and snicker at it. I have had many ask me if they can have my button. I believe it is time to change the name of the highway. It is the moral thing to do.'"

OK, is it just me or are these guys taking this WAY too seriously!?!?!? It's just weird to me that they are trying to legislate the morality of the number 69. Are they going to outlaw it?

How will we ever get to 70?

5 comments:

lee said...

i brought this up in s.s. the other week & 1 kid (age 24) looked at me as if i had 2 heads...

so entrenched in the christian ghetto, that he didn't even know what was 'wrong' with the #69...

blew my mind...

Anonymous said...

Isn't outlawing that just an invitation to make up something else? Doesn't that just encourage more and make it that much bigger of a deal? Sometimes I wish I could give my common sense to those who need it.

Thomas said...

The thing about this is that we are going to have to answer the question to our kids (my future kids) "why did they change number 69?" I am of the opinon that it is best just to pretend that I never even associated the freeway number with the sexual position, while inside I may release a silent chuckle. Nobody gets hurt.

jimmy said...

Do you think those kids are more likely to have sex at a young age if they are exposed to highway 69? It just seems silly to me to make such a big deal out of this. Maybe there's not much to do in Indiana. Gotta find something to protest just to pass time maybe?

Benji said...

Witch Hunt Anyone?
What's next?
Is Highway 420 in danger of being renamed to Interstate 777?
Shall we change all telephone numbers, SSNs, DOBs and License #s with consecutive 6's to more appropriate numbers as well?

I'm going to creat a new number for sex in honor of this post...Let's make it a giant number 1 followed by an equally sufficiant 0...Oh wait, how will all of the computers communicate with each other then?

I'm sorry, we're doomed.