6.16.2008

I hate to say "I told you so" but...



A new Web site is offering a first-of-its-kind service: sending e-mails to nonbelieving friends and family who are "left behind" after you are whisked away by God in the rapture.

The site Youvebeenleftbehind.com offers users the ability to store e-mails and documents that will be sent to up to 63 e-mail addresses six days after the rapture has occurred. Users get up to 250 megabytes of storage space, 150 megabytes of it encrypted for sensitive information such as bank account numbers or eTrade passwords that can be accessed by those who remain on earth. Billed as the last chance to "snatch them from the flames," Youvebeenleftbehind.com is the month-old brainchild of Mark Heard, a 49-year-old supermarket shelf-stocker who lives in Cape Cod, Mass. "You've Been Left Behind gives you one last opportunity to reach your lost family and friends For Christ," the site reads. "Imagine being in the presence of the Lord and hearing all of heaven rejoice over the salvation of your loved ones. It is our prayer that this site makes it happen." Heard says it's also a way to pass on financial information to loved ones who remain on earth before God's return. "The idea started for me in 1999 when I was… trading equities online and trying to think, 'How I can send my password to my wife if the Rapture happened at this moment?'" he said.

Jeff Vaccaro, a 34-year-old computer programmer in San Diego who runs the Web site Godsurfer.com, which allows users to post and rank Christian-based Web content, signed up for the service when he saw it covered on another news site last week. Although Vaccaro hasn't uploaded any messages just yet, he says that he plans to construct e-mails that give the non-believers in his life a nudge along with Bible passages.

"I like the idea behind it," said Vaccaro, "It would be one final, 'Hey guys, maybe you need to check this out further …"



My only question is this. The website says that it is run for Christians by Christians...




So... who's gonna hit send?

7 comments:

Brett said...

yeah, this is hilarious and ridiculous. i saw this a week or two ago and the way they know the rapture has happened is when 3 of their 5 selected people don't check in for a few days. i'm not sure if this is weirder than the take-care-of-your-pets-after-you're-raptured group.

Linda said...

wow. they should hire an Athiest tech guy to look after it....if nothing else he gets a paycheck! also, are Christians really this, um (what the word?), ridiculous?

if the people in my life:
a) don't know what i believe
b) notice that i've gone missing

then i'm in bug trouble BEFORE the rapture happens and i lose all my stock options/benefits.

Unknown said...

Just came across your posts..like your stuff and so much in the "church" is sad but funny at the same time. I guess its not too late for me to market "I've been left behind (by insert name) and all I got was this t shirt"..

Katie Harris said...

i was thinking the same thing! Maybe it's like the show LOST and they have to hit a button everyday and the day that the button doesn't get pushed the rapture will obviously have happened and then all of those e-mails will automatically be sent.

blog more my friend, blog more.

Jeney said...

Hello -

My husband and I have met you at a few places ... Bill Glass banquet, outside of Starbucks and then again at the Hope For The Homeless BBQ. Maybe this information, coupled with our names (Troy and Jeney) will help you figure out who I am?

Anyway, I got an email notification that you commented on a blog of Lisa and Jim's (had no idea that happened) and then checked out your blog.

All that to say this: Hilarious. I was disappointed when I read the last line because I wanted to be the one to point out the magnificent hole in their gameplan.

Personally, I'm not leaving any notes. Further, I'm going to start laying out a smartly arranged outfit on the front seat of my car whenever I leave it in a parking lot. I want to make the other christians who happen by my car wonder - even if just for a split second - whether or not they missed the rapture.

jimmy said...

Nice! Thanks for stopping by to comment Troy and Jeney. I remember you guys!

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Wow.